Sunday, October 18, 2009

Weekend Tid Bits

Friday night we went to our church's Young Married group's Harvest Party at a friend's house. We got there a couple hours early and I thought we were so smart to bring a playpen for Emersyn to nap in but I was wrong. She refused to sleep and thus was pretty cranky for the whole afternoon and evening. Ugh. And to top it off, she had an allergic reaction to something and her face, neck and back had splotchy red raised patches. I nearly had a nervous breakdown, I just can't stand when she is uncomfortable. Her skin issues make me especially sad too because I had such bad skin as a child. It stinks to think that you passed something along to your baby. :( I called the advice nurse to make sure that a rash isn't a flu symptom and she assured me that it wasn't. I was trying to think of all the things that she had eaten that day but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Turns out, when we got home, Brett saw the Mr. Bubbles on the counter and remembered that he had given Emersyn a bubble bath earlier in the day. I am thinking that is what she reacted to. I have never used Mr. Bubbles for her; I had bought that for when our neices spent the night several years ago. Anyways, I am *hoping* that is what it was. We use all hypoallergenic things on her skin and I usually just use a little of her shampoo to make bubbles in the bath. Daddy didn't know better. Her skin is still pretty flared up but we are moisturizing like crazy and tomorrow I will get her prescription for steroid cream refilled. I think the worst area that is consistently bad for her is under her chin. With all her drool, it is hard to keep that area dry and therefore it gets chapped and she itches it. :( Dear Jesus, please heal my baby's skin!!

Last night we went to Sweet Tomatoes with Brett's parents. Emersyn is pretty entertaining at that resteraunt. For those of you reading you aren't local, it is a soup, salad and pasta buffet but it's mainly known for it's huge salad bar. We love it. Emersyn eats pretty healthy there too and she is FREE!! She enjoys the kidney beans, butternut squash, cucumbers, olives, peas, plain veggie pasta, zucchini, muffins, some mac and cheese and then a tiny ice cream cone of which we discovered she doesn't care for the cone, she just likes to suck the ice cream out. Brett's parents were pretty amused watching her chow down.

While at Sweet Tomatoes, I was giving Brett a bad time about his vision and how I am going to be making eye appointments for both him and I. He claims that his vision isn't that bad but he can't read anything that is remotely far away. Stuff that everyone else can see plain as day, he can't even begin to make out the words of. Brett's dad let him try on his glasses and Brett nearly fell out of his chair. He had no idea that the world could be such a clear place!!! That settles it, he is getting glasses. He is kind of excited about it now though. He can never see anyone's faces on the platform of our church, he can never read scores on the TV sports games, and I shudder to think of what else he can't see while, oh I don't know, DRIVING! This week is the week that will change his vision forever! Costco, here we come! :)

Emersyn has been growing more and more confident while walking, it is so cute. Last night was the first time that she tried to run away from us in public. I love it. The days of chasing a toddler are here. She was so cute in her new boots, walking all around the resteraunt, waving at everyone as though to say "look at me! I can walk!". It was a lot of fun, or I think it was anyways. Brett was chasing her as I enjoyed some coffee! :)

This morning we missed church. We are SO bad about getting to sleep on Saturday nights. I think part of us justifies it because we go on Sunday nights. But still, I love morning service, and love seeing people that love us and Emersyn and are like family. Someday when Brett is off on Sundays, it will be easier. I can handle an 11am service. It's the 9am service that is brutal to try to get to.

Well, Emersyn is napping and I should go jump in the shower while I can in peace. Only 3 weeks until my dad comes for a visit, I can't wait!! I wish my mama could come too but she is staying behind to take care of their dog. I was telling Emersyn at the store today that Grandpa is coming to visit her and she seemed excited. :)

Happy Sunday everyone!

1 comment:

LeAnna said...

Great catch up post. Sorry to hear Miss Em had such a bad reaction. I always had sensitive skin growing up, matter of fact when I was working for the vet, I could always tell when a dog had severe skin allergies because I would break out in hives if I touched them! Weirdest deal. May she heal quickly!
Cracks me up about your DH and the glasses, too. Sounds like something my hubby would say. :P
Have a great rest of your weekend, and a wonderful new week!