Friday, May 22, 2009

Chores

In so many ways, I still don't feel like a grown up. Grown ups are on top of their laundry, their yards, their kitchens, etc. I can't ever seem to get caught up. I am working on a new way of thinking, due to some postpartum emotions that have run amuck lately. I get really really cranky when my house isn't clean, yet lack the motivation to keep it up at times. I LOVE maintaining a clean home, that I can do. But then when it gets messy again, I get overwhelmed and depressed and thus, sink into that pit of un-motivation. But then I look into the eyes of my sweet baby girl and give myself permission to relax a little. 

Confession time. I feel like I took advantage of her newborn time in a sense. She was so content when I would put her in her swing, her bouncy chair, etc. Our home was pretty orderly during my maternity leave and I loved it. But when I look back, is it an organized home that mattered? No, moments snuggling with my daughter are.

So, in an effort to adjust my thinking, I am deciding to chill out a little. There are evenings when I *gasp* just sit down with my family after dinner and decide that laundry can wait. There are afternoons when I try to get something done and realize that my fussy girl only wants to be with her mama. It is funny, I was folding laundry in her room this afternoon and going through some of her clothes, taking out what didn't fit. She would get fussy and start climbing on my legs towards my arms and I realized, she just wanted ME. SHE doesn't care if her laundry is done. SHE doesn't mind her drawers full of outgrown clothes. She just wanted to be with me and I had to sit down and say, this is okay. I want to be with her too. 

 
Side note: This blogging time so could be spent doing the chores that I speak of but hey, I need a break right? :) This counts as ME time in my book. 

 
Chores I don't mind: Dusting: Easy for me, I don't have hardly any knick knack type things. Vacuuming: as I have said before, it is kind of a hobby. Emptying the dishwasher when the kitchen is all cleaned and the cupboards are organized. Emersyn's laundry: folding tiny pink clothes, who could hate that? Wiping down surfaces. 

Chores I despise: Dishes in a messy kitchen: I like cleaning things that are already somewhat clean. Chaos overwhelms me. Cleaning off the gas stovetop: it never comes full clean. Bathrooms: enough said. Picking up: I get distracted really easily so when things need to be picked up, I will find something like a magazine and then get off task easily. Laundry: Brett has 6000 pairs of socks, I swear. I despise washing whites. I love my husband, just can't stand all the socks and undershirts that he produces. :) 

I should point out that I am so grateful for a husband to wash clothes for and a beautiful home to maintain. I don't take any of it for granted. Just sometimes I let it define my happiness and that isn't healthy. If my house is messy but my husband and baby are happy, it is good day. 

 
What chores do you dread? Have you found any systems that work for ensuring a clean and organized home? 

1 comment:

sister sheri said...

Sounds like you have a wonderful husband... who probably doesn't notice that the chores even need to be done... and would rather spend time with you and Emersyn!