Sunday, December 13, 2009

Advent Service

This Sunday we were asked to read some Advent scriptures at our church. The idea was that we would read it with Emersyn on the stage and there was a little "bio" in the church bulletin about us and how long we have been married, attending our church, our hobbies, etc. It is a great way to get to know other families in the church. It was also a good opportunity for Emersyn to wear her Christmas dress since this was our last Sunday at our church before we leave for MN on Friday! :)

I took some pictures of Emersyn in her Christmas dress. Can I just say that this is THE hardest age to get pictures of? Emersyn is all over the place and when I tell her to look at me, she RUNS to me and I can't get pictures fast enough, even with my nifty DSLR!



We got this dress for her last year on clearance at Gymboree for $12. Score! Christmas dresses can easily be $50+, like this one was originally!




I love the bubble hem....so princessy!!!


These shoes belonged to Brett's younger sister! Here they are on top of the original box...see the Nordstrom price sticker for $15.95?? Although they are 22 years old, they look brand new!

I will leave you with the verses that we read for Advent Sunday. It was really funny, Emersyn was kind of fussy on the stage when we were trying to read. I read a porton and then Brett was supposed to read but he was holding Emersyn and she was aggressively trying to steal the microphone from him. I decided to grab the mic back and finish the reading. Emersyn did much better on the stage this time last year when we had her dedicated, remember this post? :)

As the hustle and bustle of the holidays increases as Christmas draws closer, let's not forget the Reason for the celebration!!

Isaiah 61:1-4(NIV)

1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners,

2 to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn,

3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion— to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor.

4 They will rebuild the ancient ruins and restore the places long devastated; they will renew the ruined cities that have been devastated for generations.

Luke 1:39-45 (NIV)

39 At that time Mary got ready and hurried to a town in the hill country of Judea,

40 where she entered Zechariah's home and greeted Elizabeth.

41 When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.

42 In a loud voice she exclaimed: "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear!

43 But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

44 As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.

45 Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!"

Psalm 95:1-3

1 Come, let us sing for joy to the LORD; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.

2 Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song.

3 For the LORD is the great God, the great King above all gods.






6 comments:

Rachelle said...

Wish we could have seen your darling family do the advent reading... what a fun memory to have! On a side note: thanks for not giving up on my blog... love seeing your comments!

Kristi said...

Love the dress, she looks so cute and I love the shoes too! Wish you could find shoes for only $15 dollars these days :) Sorry we had to miss your Advent reading. My mom said Emersyn was really cute up there trying to steal the mic. Maybe she wants to be a singer like her mom!

Tyler said...

she is to cute with her little pigtails! I wish Emma had some more hair.

That was an awesome deal you got on that christmas dress.. it is beautiful!

sister sheri said...

Patti - I have to admit that it was a very memorable advent... but I love that! What a precious family! What a blessing to know you!

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

Patti, you are just killing me with that little dress... and those widdle soos. (I'm not normally a baby talker... but I just couldn't help myself!!!)

Kim said...

The shoes are precious & she is cute as always!!!
I can't wait for them/H to open there gifts! This year will be even better than last!!! :)