What the heck was I thinking????
Now that I am the mama of a very
I used to blame it on the fact that I work part time. This is not a good excuse, as I had a gloriously long maternity leave and still didn't have enough time in my mind. I remember having a newborn and thinking, "I just can't get anything done". Again, what was I thinking!?!?! Emersyn just laid there, how on earth was she preventing me from folding laundry??
These are the top items that I wrestle with timewise:
1) Working out/healthy food & snacks prep. Recently I have become aware of some health issues that run in my family. Excercise is the best preventative medicine and I want to model a healthy and active lifestyle for Emersyn and so far, this is not an area that I am excelling in. :)
2) Making time for friends. I am blessed to have a LOT of amazing people in my life, people who inspire me and make me laugh, two very crucial elements of a quality friendship with me. :) I struggle with balancing my responsibilities at home, having quality time with Emersyn and my husband, working, etc . I am good at being social via my blog, facebook, etc. But I love having people over to our home and Brett especially appreciates this, as he is NOT social via blogging, facebook, etc. :) I love playing games, cooking and entertaining. Where this ranks on the PRIORITY list though differs between myself and my husband.
3) Reading. I LOVE to read. I love working on my Bible Study that I participate in at my church on Tuesday mornings. I love a good fiction book by Jodi Picoult. I love books on parenting, marriage, etc. BUT I get horribly distracted and find it is hard to make time for such activities. I think a lot of it would help if my husband didn't like to watch TV so much. But that is a big love language of his, cuddling and watching a movie. Me, I could live without the TV. Seriously. There are a couple shows that I would watch online, but other then that....buh bye. I can be home an entire day and not turn the TV on once. When it comes to being on the laptop though, that is probably a place where I waste a lot of time.
4) Being crafty. I am a realist. I will never be a crafty person by nature. But I still long to learn such domestic skills like sewing. In fact, I signed up for a sewing class with a friend in November. I am soooooo excited. I also made some cupcakes last week. There are two steps towards progress in my crafty/domestic quest I guess.
5) Chores, like cleaning, maintenance (touching up baseboards, deep cleaning) and the worst task of all.......Laundry!!!!
6) Quiet time with the Lord. (Also falls under the reading/bible study category). I know that the Lord doesn't judge me for not spending time with him, I think it is more my loss then His, for sure. I never regret spending time with my Savior in an intentional way, more then just praying on my way to work or while doing dishes. Even taking a walk could qualify as quiet time with the Lord. And it would help with number one on this list. Lord I love me some multi-tasking. :)
Those of you more experienced ladies/mama's out there, what have been your keys to finding balance in being a wife/mama/woman? Blog about it! Speak up! :)
If there is one thing I have learned in life, it's that you never arrive, you never have it all figured out. Therefore, I am not plagued by these issues in my life, just simply want to work on them, one day at a time. After all, I have a little girl who is watching me..... :)
And I am sure that one day I will be writing a blog, saying "I can't believe I thought I didn't have enough time with ONE child, what was I thinking??!" :)