Saturday, July 25, 2009

Six Word Saturday



I feel blessed to be alive.







On Thursday evening, I left work to go pick up Miss Emersyn for her last swimming lesson. I was at a red light with another car in front of me. The light turned green. The car in front of me went through the light and I followed. Except a green BMW from the traffic that was supposed to be stopped at the RED light just DIDN'T stop and plowed into me, going probably around 45mph, which is the speed limit on that road. I looked to my right and saw her flying towards me and I don't even think I had time to react. She slammed into me, spinning my car 90 degrees. My head hit the side of the car above the window and my shoulder was also impacted. I pulled the car over and got out. My first thought was that I couldn't believe that I was going to miss Emersyn's last swim class.

There were two witnesses, both that said the lady had run a red light. Right after she hit me, I had looked up at MY light and it was yellow so I realized that it had been green. For a split second I wondered if I had ran the red light, it just all happened SO fast. One of the witnesses pulled over and I asked her if she saw what happened. She said that the green BMW was flying down the road and completely ran the red light.

I gave my report to the police officer and he said that the green BMW said that I ran the red light. He said he didn't believe her though. This made me happy. I was REALLY irritated that she said I ran it. So careless. I know that accidents happen but seriously, if she was paying attention she could have prevented the accident. It wasn't like her light had just changed.

I called Brett right away and he left work immediately and got to me within 20 minutes. We emptied most our things from the van and into his car. A tow company came and took both the cars away. I decided to go to the urgent care down the street from the accident to make sure my head was okay. At that time just my head hurt. My head checked out just fine and we were on our way in 20 minutes, praise the Lord. I hate waiting around ER's. Ugh.

Called the insurance companies. I have Safeco and she has Progressive. After this I will most likely change to Progressive, my insurance is L A M E. Anyways, Progressive is taking good care of me so far and for that I am grateful. They got me a sweet new Toyota Sienna rental van this morning and I feel pretty cool driving it around. I didn't want to do much driving today but it worked out that I had to. I get pretty tense at every intersection though, what if the other cars just don't stop like the green BMW!?!?!?

I woke up with a headache and some neck, shoulder and back pain. No fun. Basically super sore but with a little more intensity then that. After much research and suggestions from friends, I decided to go to a chiropractor. He was amazing. Gave me great advice on the accident since he specializes in car crash injuries. Took some x-rays, saw that my neck, back and shoulders have sustained injuries. Taking some herbal medicines right now and also nursing my wounds with ice packs. I feel so blessed to have found this chiropractor.....the Lord really orchestrated the whole thing. I am going back on Monday for a follow up appointment. Have an appointment with Progressive on Monday too where I suspect they will try to get the claim settled and closed. It looks like the car may be totaled which would mean it would be time to start mini van shopping. That is a bummer. Trying to look at the bright side though. If I had been inches forward in the intersection, the green BMW would have slammed into the driver's door and I would most likely not be posting this blog post as we speak.

God is good. Life is precious.


The infamous green BMW. Took these pics at the tow lot where our cars were this morning. Had to go and clear out all of our valuables since it is likely that the van is totaled.

12 comments:

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

Ohhh I had a three car pil ewreck this Jan. and my van looked just like that. All I could think was that Thnak God I'm still here. Be blessed!

Katie said...

Thank the Lord you're okay!! I'm so glad you're alright. It's good that you had a witness and the officer believed you. The least the lady could have done was be apologetic!

The VERY FIRST day I was allowed to drive after my c-section from Spencer (8wks later) I was driving by myself to the grocery store and a girl t-boned my car, totaling it. I was just driving along and I turned my head just in time to see her driving right into me. I had about 2 seconds of reaction time and I knew the worst thing I could do was swerve into the other oncoming traffic lane to avoid her hitting me. So I braced myself and luckily I was alright, my car was a complete disaster- it's amazing to me that I was killed, much less not at all hurt.

Sorry to go on and on! I just know how scary it can be and how grateful you feel when you realize what could have happened.

Lana said...

glad that things are all ok..

Becca said...

Car accidents are so lame. Glad you're ok :)

mosaicmama said...

omg do you really think the van is totaled? you already know how i feel about green bmw monster driver, liar of the universe. with b3 on the way i partly want a minivan but when i think of people like the lady that hit you, i am happy up high in the land cruiser!

take good care of you and let me know if i can do anything. i will bake you some blueberry muffins next week :)

LeAnna said...

Praise the Lord you are all right! Car accidents are so scary, and infuriating at the same time. I was hit by an non-english speaking hispanic man who made up one heck of a story for the police (translated through his daughter, of course) however, he had high risk insurance so they covered repair on our vehicle, but it has never driven the same. So frustrating, but it makes you count your blessings anyway!

Anonymous said...

Hi I am just a lurker here, but I wanted to just point out the point that if Emersyn's carseat was in the car it needs to be replaced even though it was unoccupied. The other driver's insurance should cover it and you should not let them close it until it is replaced.

So glad everyone was okay.

sister sheri said...

Patti, I am so glad you are okay! What an ordeal!

Home School Dad said...

I had a similar situation years ago when I lived in South Carolina. I was on my way to pick up a friend and go to a Christian Concert. It was raining pretty good at the time. A car stopped at a red light and I stopped behind it, the car behind me did not stop quick enough hit me and pushed me into the car ahead of me.

The reason why the situation is similar is because the first thing I thought immediately after the accident was "I can't believe I'm gonna miss this concert. I went to the e.r. just to be sure and was fine. Since accidents are anunwanted intrusions in our lives, they never come at a good time in our human way of thinking. Glad you are okay. I had Progressive for years and they did fine by me the one time I needed to use the insurance.

Melissa (5M Creations) said...

I am so glad that you are ok. What a scary thing. God is good! I hope that you are feeling better soon.

Melissa (5M Creations) said...

I just saw the car seat comment. That is very true. Push the insurance company if they fight you. Any impact even if not directly to the carseat and it should be replaced.

Julieta said...

Oh Pati i can't believe it!
I'm happy 'cause you're okai :)
But car accidents are very dangerous!
I'm glad Emersyn wasn't there! 'cause you could get hurt trying to save her..
I'm very happy you came to my blog :) Now i'm going to do a new thing. In the end of all the posts i'm going to write a thing in english, so we can talk about something even when you don't know how to speak spanish!:):)
I hope you can enter and take a look! :)
Loves from Argentina!