Thursday, July 2, 2009

Lessons from Jr. Asparagus


100% of the time that I/we are in the car with Emersyn now, Veggie Tales Sunday Morning Songs are playing in the CD player. This absolutely makes me love my husband even more; not only does he tolerate listening to this CD, he sings along and laughs out loud at Bob and Larry’s narration of the CD. I am sure that eventually we will get tired of this CD, but for now we are really enjoying it. And each time we listen to these songs, we are reminded of very simple truths.

Children’s songs are so simple. “I’ve got the joy joy joy joy, down in my heart….and I’m so happy…so very happy…I’ve got the love of Jesus in my heart”. Simple. No mention of circumstances or conditions to the happiness, they are simply happy because Jesus is in their heart. Done. I think us adults often think, “I’d be so happy…so very happy…. if only my house were clean and I had more money and I had a bigger house or a better job”. Children just CHOOSE to be happy for concrete reasons. Jesus is in their hearts, duh, you are going to be happy about that!

“My God is so big…so strong and so mighty, there’s nothing my God cannot do…..”
“I believe God can..”
“This is my commandment that you love one another, that your joy may be full…”
“I’ve got peace like a river….I’ve got love like an ocean….I’ve got joy like a fountain in my soul….”

All such great reminders of how overly complicated that we have made faith, ya know?

I think my favorite song, sung by the adorably off key Jr. Asparagus, is “God’s Way”

“The Lord has given this land to us, No need to fuss, He knows what He's doing, We know that He will take care of us, If we will follow Him…

God’s way is the best way,
Now that I know…He loves me so…
His way is the best way…and that’s the way for me!”

SO very reassuring to me. I can be a little bit of a control freak. (I can just hear my husband saying “a little?!!?”) Having a daughter has made me realize that I cannot control everything. I cannot control when she hits her head on the crib railing if I am not in there. I cannot control when she refuses to take a nap. I cannot control the fact that my hearts desire is to stay home with my daughter but I know that I am where the Lord wants me right now.

My entire life I have wrestled with who has control over the steering wheel, me or Him. How silly for me to want to drive, I have NO idea where I am going! The few rare times in my life when I have surrendered this control, I have actually ended up in a better destination then I would have picked AND I got to enjoy the scenery on the way, how about that!

So many things I cannot control….but instead of worrying or being anxious, I will cling to sweet little Jr.’s song and join him on the chorus…..

"God’s way is the best way,
Now that I know…He loves me so…
His way is the best way…and that’s the way for ME!”

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful !
I Love you so much.
Your Mama

Veronica Lee said...

Hi, I'm visiting from MBC. Great blog.

Jocelyn said...

Thanks for being so open with your faith. Between that and your positive attitude, you really are quite encouraging. Have a great day!

Julieta said...

Patti I loved what you said about can't control everything in life.
I hope you're great and your daughter more beautiful each day! :)
Today July 4th it's a special date for you, isn't it? answer me in my blog pleaaseeeee :D
kisses from Argentinaa

Amy Liz said...

So very true.

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

Oh Bob and Larry... we're getting a little past that and man do I miss them! Every now and then the kids will ask for a Veggie Tales movie... just love 'em.

Kim said...

God will lead the way! You are so right! :) So precious!

Unknown said...

My kids loved Veggie Tales...ours are in VHS form-too funny.