Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Happy Birthday Rachelle!!

Rachelle, Brynn, and I
Choir Tour 2002
Rachelle, Sophia, Emersyn and I October 2010

Today is one of my best friends' birthday. I have known Rachelle since we were in elementary school, although she was three grades behind me. At this point, that age difference isn't a big deal. But when I was a cool 5th grader, there was no way I was going to hang out with a 2nd grader. :) Our friendship really took off when I had graduated high school and was more involved as a leader in the youth ministry and Rachelle was still a youth. When she was a senior, we started a high school girls small group that was at her house and it was so much fun. I'll never forget some of the memories that we shared during that time of our life. Despite my involvement in youth ministry, I went through a bit of a rebellious time and came out of that needing genuine friendships and Rachelle was that for me. I was able to really share with her things that were going on and she was an encouragement to me. She started teasing me about hanging out with Brett when him and I started liking each other and despite my repeated attempts to convince her that it was nothing, it obviously turned into something. :) I teased her about hanging out with James (her now husband) and whenever Brett, James, Rachelle and I hung out before any of us were dating, Rachelle and I would joke about how convenient it was that we were all such good friends. :)

I give her a hard time but seriously, Rachelle is like THE craftiest person ever. I am totally jealous and threatened but I need to be better about showing her how much I TRULY admire her talent. :) She is an awesome cook and never fails to amaze me with the deals she finds at Grocery Outlet. She has decorated her home beautifully and somehow manages to always look put together, despite working part time as a teacher, raising a baby girl and being involved in ministry at our church. I'm so impressed by her desire to grow in the Lord and inspire those around her.

Our friendship has gone though ebbs and flows, depending on the different seasons of our lives. I've always appreciated Rachelle's low maintenance friendship. We both have the understanding that we love and are there for each other but realize that sometimes, it's not always possible to get together as often as we'd like. Now that we're both married and have kids, we've been able to hang out more then ever and for that I'm so happy.

Watching our daughters play together is a dream come true. I remember a particular Valentines Day that Rachelle and I spent together, long before James and Brett entered the picture romantically and we wondered when/if we would ever get married, have kids, etc. Seeing those dreams fulfilled together through the years has been incredible. I can't wait to see what other things that God has up His sleeve for us in the years to come.

Thank you thank you for your friendship Rachelle!!! I'm grateful for another friend that struggles with the same irrational fears that I do. I pray that I am able to be the encouragement to you that you are to me for the rest of our lives. May this be your best birthday ever!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

So sweet! Your friendship is such a gift. Thank you for the kind words, and once again getting me all misty!

Unknown said...

It is such a blessing to have lasting relationships-especially childhood ones. I am still in contact with many of mine and it is so neat to have friends that see you through all seasons of life.