Thursday, April 30, 2009

Crockpots are AMAZING


I can't believe I have been married for almost SIX years without truly realizing the beauty that lies within the art of Crockpot-ing. Pretty excited about that.


I have decided to make Wednesdays my weekly new recipe night! I am determined to expand our menu and have fun doing it! Currently, our favorite meals are as follows:


*Taco Salads
*Tacos
*Chimichangas
(Noticing a pattern here?? We like Mexican food....)
*Spaghetti
*BBQ Chicken Salad
*Homemade Sloppy Joes
*Corn Chowder (in the Winter)
*This silly chicken and stuffing casserole that I made once from the back of a Stovetop Stuffing box that is Brett's all time favorite meal.
*BLT's although we don't eat those too often
*Baked Salmon
*Grilled Flat Iron Steak (when the weather is nicer)
*Grilled Chicken (when the weather is nicer)
*Burgers (when the weather is nicer)


Not a huge selection of meals to choose from. Which brings me to this week's new recipe!!!!!!

Au Jus Pot Roast


Ingredients:

1 Packet of Au Jus

1 Packet of Italian Dressing

1 onion (although when I make it again, I will use two)

1 can of beef stock (I used about half of the container above)

Pot Roast (I got a lean pot roast from the "clearance" section of the meat department because the sell date was in a couple days so I got $3 off, making it $6 and I just tossed it in the freezer until I was ready to use it. Score!)

Mix the au jus packet, italian dressing packet and beef stock together in a large measuring glass. Place pot roast in the crock pot. Chop onion and put on top of roast. Pour au jus/italian dressing mixture over the roast. I then added a cup or so of water to make sure there was enough liquid since I wasn't going to be home all day.


Voila! The finished product. Doesn't look super appetizing I suppose in the picture but it smelled heavenly. I set the slow cooker on low and it cooked from 9am until about 6pm.


I bought some rolls and toasted them with a little butter. I shredded the beef and made a sandwich. I scooped some of the juice out of the crock pot and had instant au jus dipping sauce! Brett LOVED this dinner and I did too.

I didn't have a chance to prepare an exciting side dish, we were dealing with our dog unfortunately but next time

I will serve it with a yummy cucumber tomato salad.


Hooray for leftovers too! We will be eating this for dinner again tonight, although I read that the meat will freeze well as long as you cover it with juices.


This is what happens when you let Miss Emersyn munch on some baby crackers so that Mommy and Daddy can eat dinner in peace.....


I love her face....."Can I help you with something??"


Needless to say, Emersyn had a bath right after dinner. :)


Okay ladies, I know you are out there. What are your favorite family favorite's for dinner? I need some inspiration! Either leave me a comment or post a blog of your own about "what's for dinner!" Happy cooking!!

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

Patti, thanks for the comment! Your daughter is so cute! That is so fun that she and Riley share a birthday. 8/28/08 has such a nice ring to it, doesn't it? Have a great day!

Ruthie

Rachelle said...

My favorite crockpot meal is taco soup... I have tried a bunch of recipes but the crockpot 365's lady makes my favorite. (Instead of doing ground beef I always do chicken instead...so good). With the leftovers I drain the liquid off and pop the meat and beans into tortilla shells... It's a great way to have leftovers without having to eat the SAME EXACT THING the next night!
taco soup recipe