Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Jack Jensen - Beloved Kitty- 3/04-3/09

Yesterday we came downstairs and our sweet kitty Jack was laying on her side and meowing. Upon inspecting her, we realized that she couldn't move her back legs and they were cold, as though they had lost circulation. I did some research on the internet and it seemed like she could have a blood clot. I called the vet and we took her in. They diagnosed her with a heart disease and a blood clot with no hope for treatment. We could elect to treat her, which would cost thousands of dollars, but there would be no guarantees and since she had a heart condition, eventually it would take her life. I really like our vet and asked him what he would do if this was his kitty and he said that he would put her down.
We have never encoutered this sort of situation before, thankfully. I was just devastated, it is such a sad decision to have to make. We did an x-ray that confirmed the diagnosis and that really reinforced the fact that our sweet kitty was suffering and we needed to put her to sleep.

We said our goodbyes to Jack and it was just too sad of an afternoon. :(

We got Jack and her sister Bailee right before our first anniversary. We have a dog, Molly Brown, and at the time we were living in an apartment that wouldn't accept Molly. We had to let Molly go live with Brett's parents, who were only 20 minutes away, yet I cried the entire weekend before we had to send Molly to "foster care". I was very attached to Molly and at the time was in real estate school and so I was home all day and she was my little buddy. Since I was so bummed about Molly, Brett decided to get me a kitten. I really wanted an orange one for some reason, I just like them. Brett's dad is a Fed Ex driver and he was out in Gales Creek, a teeny little town outside of Forest Grove. He said that a country store out there had two kittens that they were giving away and one was orange. We drove out there and looked at the kittys. One was all orange, and one was white with orange spots. I was mainly wanting the orange kitty, but the white and orange one had such a sweet personality. I couldn't decide so I decided not to and we took them both! We named the orange kitty Bailee and the white one Jack, our first boy animals! Or so we thought...a couple years later, they went into heat and we soon found out that they were indeed girls. I couldn't change their names though. We had so much fun with our kittens, though they proved to be more work then we thought with the joys of litter boxes and such. They were our first pets together as a couple since Brett got our dog when he was in high school.

Shortly after we got the kitties at about 6 weeks old.






Poor Bailee is going to miss her companion. We have been giving her lots of love.

5 comments:

girl said...

I am so, so sorry. I understand how special pets are and truly apart of the family. Hope you're doing ok today.

Melissa (5M Creations) said...

I am sorry to hear about Jack. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. Hugs!

Katie said...

I am really, really sorry about Jack! It's so hard to lose a pet- they really are part of the family. I hope you guys are alright.

sister sheri said...

Sorry about your precious kitty... they sure do hold a place in our heart!

Unknown said...

We are so sorry you lost your sweet kitty. I had to do the same thing years ago and it still breaks my heart to think about it-probably why I have not got another one...hope you guys are doing okay and the other kitty isen't too lonely.