Thursday, January 29, 2009

You can do it!!

This evening I was doing some laundry upstairs so I set up Emersyn's playmat in the middle of the hallway so that I could keep an eye on her while I went back and forth between the laundry room and bedrooms, etc. Emersyn hasn't been a huge fan of rolling over but I try to make sure she gets tummy time and then encourage her to roll over, which usually involves me tucking her little arm under her chest and giving her a head start. I decided to not do that anymore though, she needs to learn. Today I look over and see that she is still on her tummy trying to roll over but her arm is pinned to her side, thus creating a large bump for her to get over. Immediately my instinct is to rush over and fix her little arm, after all, rolling is hard work. But I decide not to. Instead I watched her struggle for about ten minutes, her making noises I hadn't heard before out of frustration. Up until now, her life hasn't been that frustrating and that is a good thing. :) But I just encouraged her and she would try try try to roll over, then lay her head down in exhaustion but still smiling at me. Finally, she did it after about 10 minutes of trying to figure it out. I clapped and got teary eyed and she kind of game me a look like she thought I was nuts. I should probably get used to that look. :) I learned a good lesson today. It is very much my instinct to run over and help her, do anything she needs. But that isn't going to teach her anything and that is what matters. I see myself in the future, always wanting to fix things for her. But that isn't going to do her any good. Of course this lesson doesn't apply to all areas. I certainly won't let her fall off the couch so she learns not to roll on it. :) But I am going to try really hard to be her biggest cheerleader in life, watching her accomplish things through her own efforts, using the tools I have given her. I just love Emersyn, I can't believe how much you can love this tiny little person. She truly completes me.

On another note, every single time I put Emersyn on her tummy, she lets out a long toot. What's up with that?!?! It makes me laugh hysterically every time and Emersyn just looks up like, "well, what did you expect???".

Such a tooter-magooter.

2 comments:

girl said...

I love it! I was just reading last night that it isn't necessarily a bad thing for a baby to get frustrated when trying to learn a new skill. In fact, it is encouraged - as long as it is handled exactly the way you did. This helps the baby learn things on his or her own. Yay for Emersyn!! :)

Ellie always spits up when she rolls onto her tummy. It must be away to get out gas. I think it is hilarious the Emersyn lets out a toot! Too funny! :)

Unknown said...

That's a very good lesson to learn, Momma! It's hard to watch them be frustrated, but how will they ever learn to be persistent if we don't?
(tooter-magooter- teehee!)
Rowen was rolling over constantly for a week or so and now he's forgotten how. He ends up burying his face in the blanket, yelling & snorting! (That's when I pick him up and put him back onto his back- he's DONE!) haha, funny boy!