Sunday, August 24, 2008

Final Preparations

Is having a baby something you can truly prepare for?? It is so interesting, each morning when I wake up, usually by myself because Brett has gone to work leaving me to sleep in (praise the LORD for that), I am in a state of reflecting on the countdown that is dwindling towards parenthood for us. I have very mixed emotions. If I had to break it down in percentages, which I am very fond of doing to describe all sorts of situations, I would break it down like this:
*85% stoked to get to meet our little girl on Wednesday/Thursday sometime. I can't wait to see what she looks like, what kind of coloring she has, etc. Brett's family is predominantly blonde, my family is predominately red/brunette. What kind of a nose does she have? Will she have hair? How big will she be? What kind of personality will she have? I know not all of these questions will be answered on Wednesday/Thursday but some of them will.
*5% scared to death of labor and delivery. I have received a TON of encouragement in this area and am not lacking the confidence that I can do it, it is just such an unknown process, other then what I learned in birth class of course, but I am just hoping it will go well and not involve issues such as "tearing". Ugh.
*5% nervous about being a mommy and being a good example to my daughter, while maintaining a good relationship with my husband.
*5% nervous for a silly reason really, I think just the fear of change. With my parents moving and this baby coming, it has been a lot to take in this past week/month. But change can be good and I am ready. Sorta.

It is a surreal feeling to know the day that I am going to deliver my baby. Being a hardcore planner, I couldn't be more thrilled to know but it is still pretty trippy.

Today I ran a couple errands, including getting our wedding rings cleaned and re-surfaced. They look like new, I am so happy. I haven't worn my wedding ring for all my third trimester, I had heard terrible stories about swelling in the summer and having to have wedding rings cut off so I figured I would be safer rather then sorry. I am anxious to wear it again after Emersyn is here and see it all shiny and sparkly. I also ran into the mall for some of my favorite lip gloss, I figure running to the mall is going to be a low priority with a newborn and I may as well be prepared, plus the jeweler that cleans the rings is across the street from the mall so I really multi-tasked with the gas usage. I also went to a laundromat today and washed our quilt that goes on our bed so that it is nice and fresh for when the baby comes home. After I finish up this blog, I am going to go downstairs and clean out the fridge. Tonight and tomorrow are really our last days to get things ready. Tuesday morning I have a dr. appointment, then the cleaners come and then that evening we pick up my mom from the airport.

I thought blogging might be therapeutic in a sense but my mind is still jumbled. I am going to channel that into good cleaning energy though. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

well it sounds like the "nesting" is kicking in afterall! Good luck getting everything done and ready- I'm starting to feel a little freaked out with only 5 weeks left, I can't imagine just a few days!! Matt and I will be praying for you! Post pictures asap! ;)

Aimee said...

Its true, you can never be fully prepared. In regards to "tearing," you won't even feel it if you do. I promise you. I had two little stitches and they were one of the most annoying parts of recovery, but you don't feel the tearing at all. Don't let them cut you though, it makes recovery even worse, its better to tear. I totally understand the nerves, its a bit crazy how much your life changes, but in an indescribable way. A good way. I look forward to seeing a post after the baby is born, but it took me a few days to get anything up, and it took about two or three weeks to write my birth story. Just enjoy your little one, you will be exhausted, that was something I didn't expect, how physically exhausted I was after bringing him home.