Sunday, January 2, 2011

White & Red Chili Recipes!

Chili is such a hearty and yummy winter dish. Here are my two favorite chili recipes:

Debdoozie's Blue Ribbon Chili courtesy of AllRecipes.com (link here)

Ingredients:
2 pounds ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
1 (8 ounce) jar salsa
4 tablespoons chili seasoning mix
1 (15 ounce) can light red kidney beans
1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
Directions:
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the ground beef and the onion and saute for 10 minutes, or until meat is browned and onion is tender. Drain grease, if desired.
2. Add the ground black pepper, garlic salt, tomato sauce, salsa, chili seasoning mix and kidney beans. Mix well, reduce heat to low and simmer for at least an hour.

Sooooo easy and delish. I like to add things to recipes too...for instance, I used an entire jar of salsa which is 16 ounces versus the 8 ounces. I figure might as well make a little extra. I also use more garlic salt and I use an entire onions because I don't think there is such thing as too many onions. I like this recipe a lot because of how simple it is. I have a crock pot of this warming right now for an event at church tonight.

*********************************************************************************************

White Bean Chicken Chili (serving size: 8 or maybe a little more) Prep Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
2 cans white beans (northern)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion (chopped fine)
1 stick butter
1/3 cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup half and half
1 tsp Tabasco sauce (optional)
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
½ tsp white pepper
3 cans mild green chilies (4oz drained)
6 medium chicken breasts (cooked and shredded)
1 cup Monterrey Jack cheese, grated --- I usually use whatever kind of cheese I
have on hand

Directions:
In a skillet, cook onion in olive oil over moderate heat till soft and
translucent. In a large pot, melt butter over moderately low heat and whisk in flour.
Cook roux, whisking constantly for 3 minutes. Then stir in the onion and gradually
add the broth, half and half, whisking constantly.
Bring mixture to a boil and than simmer, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes
or until thickened. Stir in Tabasco, chili powder, cumin, salt, and white pepper. Add
beans, chilies, chicken and cheese. Cook mixture over moderately low heat for 20
minutes stirring occasionally.

I usually serve it with some cheese on top, but you can also serve it with sour cream
and crushed up tortilla chips on top as well!

I got this recipe courtesy of my friend Rachelle. Her mom had made it for years and it's SO good. Like most chili's and soups, I think this is even better the second day reheated!

Sorry I don't have any pictures but take my word for it, both of these are super yummy. Let me know if you try one, okay? :)

2 comments:

LeAnna said...

I was so going to email you and ask for the white chili recipe. Thank you sooooo much!

MiMi said...

Thank you for making the While Chili while we were there! Really not a Chili person, but this is the BEST!!!
Love you!