Saturday, January 29, 2011

Saturday Morning

This morning I woke up ready to seize the day. I feel like I have been in a bit of a funk lately with being so tired and lacking energy. I haven't been the wife that I should be and I know I am more then entitled to take it easy these days, however, it's important that I not put my marriage on the back burner for the next 8 months. When I'm not feeling well, I tend to throw a giant pity party and that doesn't accomplish anything except make myself and those around me miserable.

Ever since I became a mom, I'm unable to sleep in once Emersyn is awake. Even when Brett gets up with her, I still have trouble falling back asleep. Brett, however, does not suffer from this same phenomenon. So this morning I decided to get up when Emersyn started playing with her GloWorm, her morning ritual (she presses it like ten times before she calls us to come get her, ha!). I got Ems out of bed, changed her diaper, put some boots on over her jammies and we headed to the store for some roast ingredients and breakfast ingredients.

I made eggs with peppers and onions, bacon and pancakes from scratch! The recipe is just too yummy not to share for the pancakes but I can't take credit for it....my BFF's husband makes them and I'm not sure where he got the recipe from.


Buttermilk Pancakes

2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups butter milk
1/4 cup melted butter
Mix dry and wet ingredients separately, then whisk together
Ladle approximately 1/4 cup of batter into skillet
Makes about 10 pancakes
**This actually made quite a bit more then 10 pancakes for me but I didn't mind, I'll freeze them and reheat for Ems this week. I could have halved the recipe though for just the three of us and that would have been plenty**

We had real maple syrup too. I'm ashamed to admit that I have NEVER had real maple syrup before. We got it as wedding favors from Brett's cousin who got married to a girl from New York and they had these darling maple syrups brought from the east coast. Now that I've tasted real maple syrup, I'll never go back. It makes the Mrs. Butterworth stuff seem like flavored high fructose corn syrup. BLECH.

After a super busy morning I am kinda pooped but there is a toddler to play with, a kitchen to clean up, and a day to enjoy! I thank God every Saturday for the gift of having Brett home with us for the weekend.

Have a great weekend everyone!!


3 comments:

girl said...

I love buttermilk pancakes! We add blueberries right before you flip them. So good!!!

Melissa said...

Happy weekend! Sorry you've been feeling bad. Those pancakes look amazing.

*HUGS* friend!

Julia said...

YUM!! That looks great! Hang in there, I know it can be tough when you feel lousy but not "pregnant" yet, but it gets better. Good job being domestic! :)

PS I found real maple syrup at Trader Joe's for pretty cheap, and I just read about re-heating leftover frozen pancakes in a panini maker. I thought it sounded good (they made sandwiches with them, fruit in the middle), I usually just use the toaster but it might be worth a try?