Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Hawaii Part One!

Wow, what a month it has been! I am finally back at work, back into the groove of things. I have to admit, it was hard to leave Hawaii but now that I am back into reality, I am happy to be here too. :)

I am a little overwhelmed at the thought of blogging about our vacation. There is SO much to say and document, after all, this blog is mainly a scrapbook for my little Emersyn Grace. So instead of being overwhelmed, I am just going to let pictures do the talking and not try to explain it all in some clever story telling fashion.

First of all, several of my friends have said that I need to give them some tips on travelling with a toddler. Sadly, I have NONE. :) We had a great flight there but coming home was rough. More on that later. :)

Sunday morning (the 13th) we woke up at the crack of dawn and headed to the airport at 6:15am. Brett had debated onto whether we should keep Emersyn up late the night before so that she would sleep on the plane but we decided that a well rested baby is much more fun to deal with then an exhausted one. Getting up that early was brutal anyways. I had her in her travel clothes when she went to bed so that we could just wake her up and then plop her in the car. She was so cute when we woke her up though, I swear she knew that we were going on vacation. She seemed excited. :)

Our flight there was great. A sweet lady that we had made friends with in line gave us her row of three seats for the two of us. She had a one year old as well and was happy to take our two seat row by the window since she was travelling alone with her daughter. It was a win win solution for us all! Hooray. Emersyn fell asleep almost immediately on her daddy, so sweet. The flight there was fine, we were blessed with an extra meal for Emersyn, free headphones to watch the movie, etc. Plus, we knew that once we got to Hawaii, we would have help with Emersyn and get some relief that way. :)

We got into Honolulu and then took a 30 minute flight over to Kauai on a different plane.

Emersyn chatting with our "friend" on the plane and enjoying the window view. The back of the plane wasn't full at all so we could wander around, it was so nice!

Emersyn and Daddy at the airport in Honolulu watching the planes take off.

Once we landed on Kauai, I fell in love. The island is an absolute tropical paradise. We have been to Maui once before and I thought NOTHING could top our experience there but this certainly did. I was so reminded of how amazing God is and how thoughtful He is to have created such a magical place for us to enjoy.

This was our view while having breakfast our first morning there!

"Can we get going?? I am ready for the pool Mommy!!"

Note the teeny tiny painted toes. :) I painted them before we left. That was quite the struggle. I painted them while she ate in her high chair but she wasn't a big fan of having her feet pampered. I told her this will change as she gets older. :)


Emersyn enjoying the pool in her floaty, courtesy of Grammy and Grandpa. They got it in Minnesota before they got there. It was perfect. She was usually wearing a hat too, got lots of shade, no sunburns!


Breakfast place where we treated my mom and dad to a "happy grandparent's day" breakfast! We could walk here from our resort.


Sweaty baby=crazy hair!! :)

Kauai was SUPER humid, which is a foreign thing to us Oregonians. Our summers are hot but a very dry heat. I couldn't believe how moist the air was. It made getting ready pretty easy in the mornings. No make up and I usually didn't even blow dry my hair. I loved the freedom of getting ready in like 15 minutes!!

My parents have a one bedroom timeshare at the Kauai Marriott which was stunning. Brett and I slept in a pull out bed in the living room and Emersyn slept in a pack'n'play in Grammy and Grandpa's room. Every morning, she would wake up early and Grammy and Grandpa would take her down for breakfast by the pool. It was so nice. We didn't sleep in much really because of the time change, woke up most days by 7:30. It is just too beautiful out to sleep. I couldn't wait for each day to start!! We spent lots of mornings by the pool and then my dad, Brett and I would go swimming in the ocean. The Marriott is right on the beach, and is on a bay area which is nice for swimming. Much calmer waters. I am scared to death of the ocean. I went swimming a couple times in Maui but the surf was so rough both times that I got slammed into the ocean floor and spun upside down and it just scared me. This time, the waters were so smooth and calm. It was so nice to go out and bob in the waves and relax. *sigh* I miss it!!!

Brett and I got to have as much exploring and alone time as we wanted. We actually missed Emersyn during our vacation since she was with Grammy and Grandpa so much. It was fun though, she had a great time with them and really got a chance to bond with my dad, who she hasn't seen since March. One night she even cuddled and fell asleep in their bed on my dad's pillow when he was laying there too. Precious.

2 comments:

LeAnna said...

That looked like a total BLAST! My parents spent their 20th anniversary in Maui and they're still talking about it. My hubby spent 3 months in Hawaii working, and HE still talks about the beauty of it all. Maybe one day I'll get to go. :) So glad Emersyn was so good for you, that right there makes it all worthwhile!

A New England Girl said...

Your photos are all so gorgeous, and it sounds like you guys had such a good time! I have never been to Hawaii, but after seeing your photos, I might have to put it on my list. :)