Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Not so Wordless Wednesday! :)

Did you ever sing that song in youth group that went like this?

"I went to the enemy's camp...and I, I took back what he stole from me.......I took back what he stole from me......I took back that he stole from me.....I went to the enemy's camp.....and I, I took back what he stole from me....he's under my feet, he's under my feet....Satan is under my feet!".

It was kind of a hokey camp type song, but it was sassy and I still like singin' it today to Emersyn. I think it's fun to think of sneaking into a camp and stealing back what someone stole from you! That is only fair, right?? :)

Well, ya know what was stolen from me?? It's hard to put into words really.....how about he stole a cocktail of sanity/joy/positive thoughts and you know what he had the nerve to leave behind? Stubbornness and bitterness. Ugh. NO thank you!

So, with this post, I am going to march right back into the enemy's camp, drop off my stubbornness and bitterness and take back my sanity, my joy, my happy thoughts....all of it!

I am doing a phenomenal Bible Study right now with an even more phenomenal woman of God. Last night I was working on it in anticipation of our get together this morning. The lesson that impacted me especially was called "Grumbles in the Thought Closet". I read in Numbers about the Israelites and how much they complained on their way to the Promise Land. You know, I never realized how RUDE they were to the Lord!! They complained about EVERYTHING, it was obnoxious just to read about it. You wish you could slap them upside the head and say, "Knock it off! The Promise Land is just up ahead, don't be rude to the One that is taking you there!!". How often does the Lord think about us, "I wish Patti would stop moaning and groaning......I can see where she is headed and I can guarantee that she is going to like it! I wish she would just trust me and enjoy the journey! I know that we had to go through the desert to get to where we are going but it was the only way to get there!"

The following information may shock you.

I sometimes complain. A lot. About a lot of things. Mostly in my head. Never on my blog of course. That might ruin my image of trying to appear as though I have it all together, right? :)

But guess what?

Complaining and grumbling makes me feel icky.

Because I know better.

Darn it.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. But sometimes when I am whining in my head about something, I hear the Lord say..."Really???" And then I ignore Him and keep moaning and groaning, woe is me, right. And then the Lord (He can be SO persistent) presses in and maybe even gets a little louder, probably even uses my full name (which makes me KNOW I am in trouble)..."Really Patricia Lynn???? Your life is REALLY just that hard??"

And then I stop. Because I know better. And I am grateful for that. I am grateful to be aware enough to not be one of those people that complain so much and so often that they alienate everyone around them and then wonder why they are alone in their misery.

My life is amazing. Sure, I could name lots of things that make my life not perfect. But really, what would be the point of that??

Jennifer, the author of my Bible Study says this..."Without complaining and grumbling, you will shine brightly in the midst of our world....How lovely. In contrast, if we are the center of a thought closet crammed with grumbling, we will clothe ourselves in the tight, bright clothing of me, myself and I! That outfit never fits well, is highly uncomfortable and very unattractive".

I read this passage in Numbers last night and felt prompted to write this post.....

Numbers 11:1- "Now the people complained about their hardships in the hearing of the Lord, and when he heard them his anger was aroused. Then fire from the Lord burned among them and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp."

For some reason when I read this, I felt like the Lord get a little "oh no you didn't" attitude and said, "girl....don't MAKE me burn down the outskirts of your camp!!". No, the Lord doesn't usually speak to me in this tone of voice (ha ha), but He does know how to get my attention and when I hear "don't MAKE me...", I listen up because I know He can and He will.

Okay Lord, enough grumbling from me. I went to the enemy's camp and took back what he stole from me. I am called to be the bigger person, to have a better attitude and to strive to be more Christ like. That doesn't include grumbling. :)

After all, I have this precious little girl to be happy about...




5 comments:

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

Amen Sister... I'm loving this study too.

girl said...

Yes yes yes!! I love it! Thank you for the excellent reminder. God is so good!

Kim said...

Pattie, what a sweet & so true post!

I love that song "I went to the Enemies camp", I rememeber singing it in Sunday school all the time!

You know my husband has to put up with my complaining ALL the time, and seriously I do it so much that I some times catch my self, and think it's really ridiculous how much I do complain. If maybe I could just think like you! :)

Love the cute little photo of Emersyn!

So are you prepared for Sunday's B-day party yet?!? :)

I cannot wait! Tell that precious girl Happy Birthday for me!

Have a wonderful weekend! ♥

Can't wait to see pics!

LeAnna said...

Man, girl, thanks for sharing this! I sang that song growing up, and it is catchy. The words are true, though! This post blessed me, as I've been finding myself in the same boat (the grumble boat) - a grumble here, a grumble there. It is icky, and I'm so thankful we have a heavenly Father who LOVES us SO much that He brings these things to our attention. All so we can get up and move on past it.
Have a great day!

sister sheri said...

Patti! What a powerful post! Your words are so vivid... painting a true picture of how often we find ourselves wishing we had joy, but thinking that the enemy is soooooo much stronger than we are.

I felt like the Lord get a little "oh no you didn't" attitude and said, "girl....don't MAKE me burn down the outskirts of your camp!!". Oh, yeah! Been there... and He has had to do that with me.

I love getting to know you better. And how you and Sheila are helping me be accountable to God's word this summer. Blessings, sister!