Thursday, May 19, 2011

Book review: Choosing to See

I saw this book on the "hot new releases" shelf at the library yesterday and I snatched it up. I recalled reading about the loss of the Chapman's 5 year old daughter (their teenage son didn't see her when he was driving up the driveway and hit her with his car....just awful) while I was still pregnant with Emersyn and was interested to hear the journey that this mother has gone through. In a way, I think I'm fascinated by tragedy which probably sounds morbid but I just am so interested and inspired when I learn about how someone copes and works through a loss. Plus, it is such a good reminder of treasuring each day with our loved ones.

The book is about Mary Beth's life, her marriage to Steven Curtis Chapman, and their children. They have three biological children and three adopted children and the story of how each adoption occurred was interesting. Mary Beth has struggled with some depression (before and after their family's tragedy) and I was inspired to read how she has worked through that.

I totally bawled during the chapters describing their family's loss. I just cannot imagine. They've had some triumphs in the meantime, including two of their children getting married and I finished the book challenged to be a better wife and mother and to not take anything for granted.

One of my absolute favorite songs is called "Cinderella" by Steven Curtis Chapman and I cannot listen to it without totally tearing up. He wrote this for his daughters and it's such a wonderful reminder of how fast our children grow up and how important it is to take the time to enjoy them....





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good read :) I will have to check it out. I am amazed at the tragedy that some people have lived through. ~S